Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Backyard Is an Alternate Universe

Goldfish and Dictionary Text



















Ghost Goldfish

James Hart


for my son Ethan, when he turns 50

There’s unmarked space in our backyard where
no careless digging is allowed, where for 20 years
small forms assembled one by one:  a succession
of princely cats in shoe boxes lined with towels,
a hamster in a coffee tin, a goldfish in an olive jar.
At first I buried furtively, as if passersby
might snicker at the friction I made with spade.
In time, there were witnesses, my young sons
examining docile death in its famished fur,
touching paws or whiskers before we sealed
lids with tape and placed the boxes in their beds,
covered them with care, mud and love heavy
on our fingers. And once my youngest boy
brought home a sparrow flat from the street,
placed in what proximity of hamster, cat, or fish
I wish I remembered now, a five-year-old
dragging home a prize by bird claw, his hand
somehow a cat’s mouth in its gentle grasp.
His hair spilling cat shine in the sun, my son
asked “Daddy, can we have a funeral?”
and soon the sparrow flew with ghosts
of cats under summer air, the turf recalling
no disturbance there, so little space a sparrow
needs.  Now afraid I’ll tell his teenage friends,
he shrugs and blushes if I mention this, but I
at ten times his five believe there was mercy
in his practicing that will stead me well someday
when my soul will purr away perhaps in furless
winter, or wrapped in summer’s cotton towel,
just-bathed yet unprepared for the surprise
of visitors at the door, I drop from air like his
sparrow to roam restlessly with our spirit cats.
Isn’t that what we all desire? To know there,
somewhere under familiar lily beds, ghost
goldfish swim perfectly in gentle jars of air.




January 23, 2002; March 10, 2007





No comments:

Post a Comment