Friday, March 1, 2013

Sighting Ghosts of Spanish Galleons

Oak Alley Plantation - Vacherie, Louisiana





"Remembering Cafe du Monde"
was first published in
The Chariton Review
at Truman State University
in the Spring 2002 issue.








Remembering Café du Monde,

New OrleansEarly Morning, 

Independence Day, 1994

James Hart

for Nathaniel

Words your mother said the other day,
about knowing the last time was the last
so we might remember it, made me recall
the morning you and I awakened early
and left the others sleeping as we ambled
through the Quarter, foreigners at home
here on Independence Day, our port of call
the alley streets sweating mist, dawn rain
just past, the sun stretching past our backs
to light the Mississippi’s massive commerce
moving slow leviathans toward the Gulf.
I didn’t give much thought then, I’m sure,
to how a river divides a father and a son
as it widens and runs to opposing flows.
To show you how the world expands us,
I said I’d take you to the Café du Monde
and let you order beignets and cafe au lait,
grown-up food finer than juice and toast.
I know you didn’t blink an eye at your first
hot sip, while I quickly watered down mine
with ice and praised the heavenly pastries,
and you reached for more, sprinkling sugar
from your lips onto your sleeve like a child’s
floating, sprightly talk, a vessel on the move.
I don’t remember what casual words we said,
plans perhaps for our trip up the River Road
to hunt old houses or boats afloat on dreams,
maybe promising you’d see Oak Alley’s past
channel sunlight’s timeless shadows under
a tunnel of ancient trees, ghosts of Spanish
galleons waving mossy sails in the river air,
or how your brother feared every black face
he saw whispered voodoo as he turned away.
So was that the last time I was the captain
of your world as we stood on the river walk
watching tankers bound for Cairo, imagining
Algiers just across the river lay half a world
away from us in tropic climates of the mind?
And now, like Magellan, you circumnavigate
a globe of silence, a resolutely mute hostility
that swells its sails before your father’s wind,
and just as I vanished from my father’s eyes,
I too could tell you there’s no new otherland
here for you to name, wilderness claimed ages
ago when a boy in feathers sought the sun,
and I too found my father in time’s Acheron
embracing darkness where you will follow
when the river running so wide between us
circles back through space on comets’ tails,
falls in rocket glares on these amber islands.





No comments:

Post a Comment