Sunday, May 12, 2013

Recalling Days of Abandonment

The Abandoned Bedroom






















That Day Unlike Others

James Hart

All day that day I paced the floor;
I wandered my dark corridors of air.
On my feet all day, I bore a burden,
a totem without hands to hold the sun.
I stared at chairs and fingered books,
and read the straight-backed oak
as if slats were our broken daily words,
fragments you said to me I never heard.
By end of day I knew the story’s end,
time’s black chapters of the mind.
At last I sat on the far side of our bed,
adrift on the side where you once rested,
and remembered words I forgot to say,
love, among others, I’d not said that day.


(Poem from an unpublished manuscript
entitled Somewhere West of Never)




2 comments:

  1. After losing a loved one, there comes a moment of "Ok, it's like this," that was anticipated but could not be known before that moment. It happens with moments of joy, too--upon the birth of a child or exchanging vows--but I have experienced them more profoundly with loss, as in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thanks for this note. For some unknown reason I’ve never scrolled down to find it sooner! The poem is about an imagined sense of loss for an emotionally isolated speaker.

      Delete