Saturday, April 20, 2013

Memories from a Town Time Left Behind

Urban Abadonment - Detroit












The house situation
referred to in the poem
is actually in far worse
condition than this house
from Detroit's urban blight.






Premonitions of
Sunlight and Sorrow

James Hart

A brooding mood, I stop for a moment to stare
at my ancient neighbor’s abandoned house,
the one beyond it vacant as well but less neglected.
For a moment I’m struck by premonitions of emptiness,
shiver and shadow palpable in the autumn shade.
To awaken some year far away from now
and know I’m the final resident in my block,
the whole town vacated by an overnight mystery,
I’d ask myself how such dread losses occurred:
Alien encounters? Angels of doom? Elder gods
personified, threading vanishing skeins of fate?
Like children of time playing aimless games of tag,
clouds skip fragmented shadows over dimming sky,
sunlight and sorrow paint transparent weathers
across clapboard walls.  In the cool evening air
smells of damp and decay pervade the breeze.
Another statistic for Alzheimer’s malign triumph
over memory, laughter, the old man left this house,
powerless: first to go to his daughter, then into fog
where such men pass their days in deathless paradox.
Not even raccoons in the attic made him hire repairs;
he shared his last days here with rain, rot, ruin,
oblivious to his daughter’s or neighbors’ concerns.
I can tell you how I abhor this residential mess, fears
of fire and thieves increasing with the scattered leaves
across the lawn. And yet I wonder who would care
if we all were raptured into empty air, leaving behind
houses occupied by rank abandonment, vacant memory
shackled to his ghostly brothers, sleep and death,
fallen timbers exposed to glaring eye of sun and sky.



September 23, 2011



No comments:

Post a Comment